The Ultimate Moving Checklist: Don’t Forget a Thing!
Moving to a new home can often feel overwhelming, especially when there’s so much to remember. To make sure your move goes smoothly, don’t forget to request time off from work for the moving date. You may also want to connect with friends and family and let them know in advance you are moving.
Garage sales are also great ways to declutter and save money. As you start to start packing, double checking important documents. This includes things like tax and bank records, medical records, any kind of certification, degrees, and passports. These type of documents are not used frequently but can be a headache to replace.
Another crucial step is to notify your financial institution about your upcoming move. This make sure there is no interruption before or after your move. While at it, make sure to update your address with them and other important parties like insurance companies. If you’ve been renting, securing your security deposit from your previous landlord is essential. Considering travel arrangements is crucial, especially if you’re moving to a distant location.
For a hassle-free move, hiring professional movers can save a lot of stress. Just remember, whether you’re sourcing moving boxes or determining the logistics, preparation is the key.
Feel free to use our detailed list below to make sure you have everything prepared.
- Inventory List – What do you actually have?
Decide whether you will inventory by room or type, don’t leave anything out.
*In four months will you have an occasion where you will wear that shirt or dress with the blue stripes?
- Create a list of donate, ditch or sell.
*Spring cleaning will help you save time and money during the move.
- Return borrowed items and collect items you have lent out.
- Passwords or codes for your new address
- Lockers at gym, school, work
- Use up food
- Dispose of flammables
- Rugs and drapes should be cleaned
*Decide on a system to be used for packing. Color codes, numbers, pictures etc.
All of these are applicable
- Post Office – https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/products/details.page?article=forward_your_mail_wh#fndtn-panel1-1
- ICBC & MSP – https://www.addresschange.gov.bc.ca
- Hydro – https://www.bchydro.com/accounts-billing/moving-electrical-connections/move-in-out.html#move
- Credit Card
- Tax Forms – http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/chngddrss-eng.html
- Bank Account
- Voter Registration – http://www.elections.bc.ca/docs/reg/200A.pdf
Not all of these are applicable
- Newspapers & Magazines
- Pension Plans
Vancouver Condo Movers is fully stocked with packing materials. Vancouver Condo Movers can also arrange storage or use their own storage for your property.
Put out separately
*Loose cables and parts are some of the easiest things to lose during moving
*Flash drives are recommended
Keep separate so you can use right away at your new address
- Garbage Bags
- Toilet Paper
- Rechargers for cellphone, iPad, and others
- Any documents you may need
*Pack like you are going on vacation
- Cleaning company
- Moving company
- New Furniture or accessories
- Pet care
Last Minute Things to consider
What will your first meal at your new place be?
Something easy to make or order in?
What will you wear for a few days?
Cellphones are charged?
Cars are refuelled?
Things to have
Phone Number of moving company